Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Gardener in You

Every morning on my way to work I walk pass a man who is tending to his garden.  As people walk by the garden, he stops gardening to smile, says “Hello” and offers his blessing for a good day.
What is unique about this garden is that it is set on the usually barren grounds of a local housing project in the Bronx.  Equally unique is the spirit that exudes from the gardener which is much like the unexpected joy of seeing a long lost friend.
I find myself looking for his greeting everyday as part of my morning ritual.  By the time I reach the garden, I am in some segment of my morning mental prayer.  I remember the first time I saw him in the garden he was standing at attention in the soil with his shovel in hand looking at me as I approached.  His eyes were lit up as if he was so happy to see me and couldn’t wait to say “Hello”.   I simply nodded in his direction a gesture of “Good Morning” as not to interrupt my mental prayer by speaking.  His response was a full bow, a tip of his hat and a loud “Good Morning My Dear!”  Startled by his greeting and embarrassed that I didn’t verbally greet him; I just giggled thinking maybe that was God’s way of welcoming me to “how” I should experience my day. 
This got me to thinking about how powerful we are as human beings who have the ability to create meaning for others.  We never know what it truly means to someone, by offering a simple greeting or a well-meaning inquiry about how they are doing.   This man not only focuses on creating a garden that is visibly beautiful, he is also intentionally graceful about how he interacts with the environment and everyone in it, despite all the things that the community may be deficient of.
His presence offers great metaphorical insight on how we can approach life and is nothing short of a blessing about “The Art of Becoming……..” 
The Art of Becoming is not only about what you can do when all things come together naturally and easily, rather it’s more about “how” you create amid the challenges in life.  The Art of it requires thinking creatively, using the resources within the environment and challenging concepts that cause and maintain dysfunction, much like what this Bronx Gardener is doing.
Some of the concepts of gardening require that the gardener have a vision, a plan for structuring and the openness to learn from the environment that will bare its fruit.  The same skill set can be used as we tend to ourselves and become gardeners to our life experiences, envisioning our  goals and how others will experience us, planning for and ensuring growth in life and creating meaningful opportunities when challenges present themselves.  
I welcome you to journey with me as I tend to a section of my life’s garden on “The Art of Becoming” and explore many of the ideas, blessings, challenges and concepts that life offers as food for thought.

~ Be ~
Written By Nieema Alford

3 comments:

  1. Dear Be,

    I experienced the esteem pleasure of taking a tour of the blog spot and have been truly amazed. I found that through reading your words I am inspired to go beyond myself and enter the world and "Art of Becoming". Visiting each tab, I felt a connection between you and your readers but more importantly, those who are in seek of self (Youth). I thank you for your dedication, vision and humility. Your courage in the assisting process of helping us find ourselves, defined purpose and exude what GOD has designed for our lives is phenomenal.

    Be I thank you for your commitment to a healthy community.

    YOUR FONDEST SUPPORTER,
    MSMINC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have truly been the benefactor of the essence that is "BE." Yet, I still find myself beyond amazed at the profound display of self,commitment and wealth within the haven of this virtual community. I look forward to the evolution of this movement and consider myself truly blessed to BE a part.

    ReplyDelete